NCVO’s Almanac is the definitive reference publication for anybody interested in the voluntary sector, and its role in civil society. It draws together trends, facts and information from our own research programme, plus the latest available data from government surveys, academic research, and research by voluntary organisations.
The Almanac gives a compelling overview of the voluntary sector’s scope and characteristics in difficult times, including their finances, workforce, and how they are changing over time.
UK Civil Society Almanac 2013
Published: March 2013
This edition of the Almanac was only available online, with a short highlights publication available for NCVO members.
Download the highlights publication (NCVO members only)
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2013 Highlights [PDF, 977Kb] (free to download for NCVO members);
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2013 poster [PDF, 163Kb]
The presentation is in PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) file format. To use them with PowerPoint 2003 or earlier see this article.
- Workforce Almanac [PPT, 738KB] – the key facts and figures from the Workforce Almanac
Exclusive member pages
The following pages are exclusively for NCVO members.
- Regional profiles
- Subsector profiles
- The Big Fundraiser
- The Community Group
- The Grant-Maker
- The Service Provider
UK Civil Society Almanac 2012
Published: March 2012
- At a glance: in 2010 there were 163,763 voluntary organisations in the UK, with an income of £36.7 billion, employing 765,000 staff.
- Peak funding: in 2007/08, £38.0 billion was the voluntary sector’s highest recorded income in current prices.
- Spending is up: a real increase of £1.1 billion over the two years 2008-2010. In the face of the recession, charities expanded their services in order to meet increased demand.
- Inflation is biting: increasing prices cost the sector £2.3 billion over the two years 2008-2010.
NCVO members can download a copy of the 2012 Almanac in our members’ area.
UK Civil Society Almanac 2010
Published: December 2010
Completely revised, this-easy-to-use version is essential for policy makers and practitioners with an interest in voluntary organisations and civil society.
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2010 – full publication (PDF 7MB)
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2010 poster (PDF 268KB)
- Read the press release for the Almanac 2010
- Download Karl Wilding’s presentation on the Almanac 2010 (PDF 574KB)
UK Civil Society Almanac 2009
Published: February 2009
This year the Almanac includes information on civil society organisations alongside a detailed exploration of the state of the voluntary sector economy, building on the first picture of Civil Society shown in the 2009 Almanac.
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2009 – full publication (PDF 1MB)
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2009 executive summary (PDF 1.75MB)
- Comment from an Almanac author looking at organisations working in social care
- Detailed methodology, including description of data sources for civil society
UK Civil Society Almanac 2008
Published: February 2008
The 2008 Almanac was renamed to reflect a widened scope. As well as looking at the core voluntary and community sector, this Almanac included figures on co-operatives, housing associations, universities, independent schools and other organisations to produce for the first time a comprehensive picture of Civil Society in the UK.
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2008 – full publication (PDF 2MB)
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2008 executive summary (PDF 319KB)
UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2007
Published: June 2007
The 2007 Almanac brings together evidence on the size and scope of the sector. It includes details on: different types and sources of income; how money is spent; the sector’s workforce and volunteers; and who gives to charity.
- UK Civil Society Almanac 2007 – full publication (PDF 8MB)
UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2006
Selected chapters from the UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2006 are available to download:
- Executive Summary (PDF 535KB)
- Chapter 6 – The Scope and Structure of the Voluntary Sector (PDF 3.5MB)
- Chapter 7 – Income (PDF 343KB)
- Chapter 8 – Charitable Giving (PDF 297KB)
- Chapter 10 – The Paid Workforce (PDF 149KB)
- Chapter 11 – Volunteers and Trustees (PDF 88KB)
- Chapter 12 – Expenditure (PDF 158KB)
UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2004
- UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2004 (PDF 740KB)
UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2002
The complete UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2002 is available to download in three parts:
- Contents and summary of the UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2002 (PDF 55.8KB)
- Chapters on structure of voluntary sector, income, giving, workforce, volunteering and assets from the Voluntary Sector Almanac 2002 (PDF 1.86MB)
- Chapters on expenditure, impact, sub-sectors and methodology from the Voluntary Sector Almanac 2002 (PDF 1.24MB)
The UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 1996 to 2000
No downloads are currently available for the following editions. For more information on these editions please contact email@example.com.
- The London Voluntary Sector Almanac 2000
- The North West Voluntary Sector Almanac 2000
- The UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 2000
- The UK Voluntary Sector Almanac 1998/99
- The UK Voluntary Sector Statistical Almanac 1996